Hello McKay Families and Community,
I wanted to take some time here at the end of the quarter to update you all on a great opportunity planned for all students before we launch Quarter 3. On Tuesday, February 2nd and Wednesday, February 3rd we will be participating in an event called ‘Beyond: Creating Opportunities and Launching Your Future.’ The event features keynote speaker and spoken word poet Brandon Leake, the recent winner of America’s Got Talent. This two-day event will provide students with opportunities to learn about education and career options, hone their skills and find out what really matters to industry professionals, college admission counselors, military partners and more! With over 100 sessions being offered, I am confident your son or daughter will find relevant information that will support them as they plan for their futures. Linked HERE is a google slide deck with all the event details. You can also connect directly with your student’s CCR/Advisory teacher for specific information on the event, schedule or break session options.
Planning for the Week Ahead:
- Monday, February 1st is a Grading Day for McKay Teachers and Staff.
- Tuesday, February 2nd and Wednesday, February 3rd: Beyond: Creating Opportunities and Launching Your Future Event – Please reference the link above for details. Students will start each day in their CCR advisory classes before moving to breakout sessions each day.
- Thursday, February 4th and Friday, February 5th: Quarter 3 officially starts again in Comprehensive Distance Learning.
A few reminders for us as we transition into Quarter 3:
- We regularly update our website with key information and events for our McKay students and community. If you have not done so, please bookmark the link so you can easily access this bank of information – https://mckay.salkeiz.k12.or.us/
Student Attendance Requirements: Just a reminder to families that daily attendance will be taken each day students are in Teacher-led classes from Tuesday – Friday. Students will be marked present when they demonstrate one of the following:
- Participation in a video class,
- Communication from the student to teacher via chat, text message, communication app or email,
- A phone call between the teacher or educational assistant/paraprofessional and student,
- Posting of completed coursework to Canvas or email,
- Turning in completed coursework on a given day.
- Students will be marked absent when there is no evidence of student interaction during a 24-hour period surrounding a scheduled class.
- Family Connections (Teacher Office Hours): Family connections is another name for office hours. It will not only be a time for students to get additional support on assignments and schoolwork, but also a time for the whole family to connect with their teacher. This will offer extended time for wraparound supports as needed.
Attached you will find the flyers for the Beyond event next week. Lets have a great start to Quarter 3.
Principal, McKay High School