All week November 7-10 is College Application Week at McKay High School!
Counselors and Mr. Brooks will be available in the library throughout the day to help students apply!
- Completing college applications
- Completing scholarship applications including:
- Oregon Promise
- Completing FAFSA/ORSAA for those who have not finished
- College/Career Exploration using Oregon CIS for undecided students
- College swag giveaways!
Hello from the McKay Athletic Booster Club,
We would like to invite you to attend the next booster meeting, this Wednesday, November 9, in the McKay library at 6:30 p.m. Activities for children will be provided.
Some of our current fundraising events include: the Turf Field project, Royal Scots Apparel sales, an Olive Garden Dinner, and a Silent Auction.
It’s time for Winter sports and we all know what that means! We get to move inside out of the rain! The concession stand will be open for Basketball & Wrestling events, and we are looking for concessions volunteers – When you volunteer to work in the concession stands your team earns $150.00 for each event lasting up to 6 hours, & $300.00 for an all-day event (anything over 6 hours). The coaches can then use these funds for equipment, trips, camps, or what’s needed to support the team. Please contact Nikole Jennings for available dates and to sign up.
You may reach out to any McKay Athletic Booster Club member in the following ways:
On Facebook: McKay Athletic Booster Club,
Saludos de parte del club de apoyo para programas deportivos de McKay
Les invitamos a la próxima reunión del club de apoyo que tendrá lugar este miércoles el 9 de noviembre en la biblioteca de McKay a las 6:30pm. Ofreceremos actividades para los niños.
Algunos de nuestros proyectos para la recaudación de fondos son el proyecto para la cancha de césped sintético, la venta de ropa “Royal Scots” de la escuela, una cena en el restaurante Olive Garden y una subasta silenciosa.
Ha llegado la temporada de los deportes de invierno. Por fin podemos observar los eventos deportivos bajo techo y estar protegidos de la lluvia. El puesto de comida estará abierto para los eventos de baloncesto y lucha y necesitamos trabajadores voluntarios. Cuando usted trabaje en el puesto de comida, el programa deportivo pertinente recaudará fondos; dicho programa recibirá $150.00 para eventos que duren hasta 6 horas y $300.00 para eventos que duren más de 6 horas. Los entrenadores pueden dedicar los fondos para equipo, viajes, sesiones particulares de entrenamiento o cualquier otra cosa que ayude al programa deportivo. Por favor, contacte con la Sra. Nikole Jennings para el calendario de plazas vacantes o para ofrecerse como voluntario.
Puede establecer contacto con algún miembro del club de apoyo de McKay en una de las maneras siguientes:
por Facebook: McKay Athletic Booster Club
The McKay boys soccer team had a great season and made the playoffs…again! The play their first round match Saturday October 29th against Lincoln High School. We are taking rooter buses to the game.
- Cost is $10 (includes price of ticket to game)
- 9:00am departure from McKay
- Game time 11:00am at Lincoln High School (SW Portland)
- 3:00pm return to McKay
- Bring $$ for snacks or pack a lunch
See Mrs. Camacho in the bookkeepers office to pick up an information sheet and permission slip.
Go Royal Scots!
In the coming weeks, the admissions departments of 4 local universities (Oregon State, University of Oregon, Portland State, and Western Oregon) will be on-site at McKay to evaluate students’ applications and transcripts to admit students ON THE SPOT! These unique opportunities for McKay students are limited to the dates below and are a great way for McKay students to demonstrate their college readiness and receive admission to college immediately!
McKay students who wish to take advantage of this opportunity are responsible to:
- sign up with Mr. Brooks in the Student Center at least 1 week in advance
- complete the online application and essays for their Universities of choice ahead of time
- meet with the admissions department at the arranged time
- arrange with their teacher(s) for the time in class they miss.
These admissions opportunities will take approximately 30 minutes. Mr. Brooks and Counselors will also prepare students’ transcripts and 2nd semester schedules for the admissions process ahead of time. All University admissions are conditional, based on successful completion of high school graduation requirements and admissions requirements at the various universities. In addition, application fees are either waived (University of Oregon) or deferred (OSU, PSU, WOU) at the time of this registration opportunity.
On-Site Registrations at McKay:
Oregon State University
Friday, October 28 – 9:00am
University of Oregon
Tuesday, November 1 – 9:00am
Portland State University*
Wednesday, November 9 – 9:00am
*students who apply at this early date, have a 3.4 GPA, and are PELL grant eligible, could attend PSU for free!
Western Oregon University
Wednesday, November 9 – 1:00pm
Annual state testing notice
Each year, students in grades three through eight and grade 11 take state tests in English language arts and math. Students in grades five, eight and in high school also take a state science test. The tests measure students’ knowledge of state standards and give the state information about how schools are performing. Information from the Oregon Department of Education regarding parents’ right to opt students out of some state testing is available online. Click here to see ODE’s flyer:
Aviso sobre los exámenes estatales anuales
Cada año, a los estudiantes que cursan los grados desde tercero hasta el octavo, y en el undécimo grado se les aplican los exámenes estatales en las áreas de la lengua inglesa, las artes y las matemáticas. Los estudiantes del quinto grado, octavo y en la escuela preparatoria toman un examen estatal de ciencias. Los exámenes determinan el conocimiento que los estudiantes han adquirido y lo comparan con el estándar estatal; esto proporciona al estado la información sobre el desempeño y funcionamiento de las escuelas. Usted puede encontrar información en línea del Departamento de Educación de Oregón con relación a los derechos de los padres sobre la opción de excluir a su estudiante de los exámenes estatales. Pulse aquí para consultar la información del Departamento de Educación de Oregón:
Salem-Keizer School District student survey link:
The student survey captures the dynamics in terms of the AP program at McKay. The findings will guide what changes need to made to create and/or sustain access and success in AP coursework. Survey responses are also used is various EOS products to give voice to the individual student through the outreach and recruitment processes.
Sample Questions & Survey Themes
- Current self: What are your favorite subject areas? How challenging are your classes? Did one or more of your parents or guardians graduate from high school/college?
- Future self: What is your highest educational goal? Do your parents expect you to graduate from college? What are your future work/career interests?
- Growth mindset (I have a certain amount of intelligence and I can’t do very much to change it)
- Grit (I am discouraged by challenges).
- Academic Identity
- Academic strategies (Describe yourself next year – using my time wisely, coping well with distractions, working hard to achieve my goals)
- Community Leadership (Do you take care of siblings, cousins or elderly family members, translating for family, friends or other adults?)
- AP Track Record: Currently enrolled in AP, previously taken AP, planning to take AP.
- Information gaps: Do you know what AP classes are? The staff at your school have provided me with enough information about the AP program. Do AP classes boost students’ chances of getting into college?
- Expectation gaps: How frequently have the following people encouraged you to take an AP class? A school staff member/a parent or guardian. Students like me are welcome in the AP program.
- Sense of belonging: I feel like a part of a community in class, I am comfortable asking for help from teachers when I need it, compared to my peers, I feel like I have to prove myself to teachers.
- AP Program Climate: What stereotypes (positive or negative) do you most often hear at your school about being an AP student?
- Outreach: Please name the adult at your school who you would most trust to give you good advice. Please select the reasons why you would choose not to take AP.
If students or parent have questions about the survey, they can contact David Wood, Assistant Principal, in the office.
McKay High School will be conducting our first lockdown drill within the first two weeks of school. We are not trying to scare students and these drills will not be a simulation of a threat. We do want students to take the drills seriously so they are familiar with lockdown routines and procedures. These drills are helpful for any circumstance. In the event of any potential hazard, it is useful for us to practice lockdown drills just like fire drills and earthquake drills. If you ever have any safety concerns, or notice any gaps in our security, then please tell us. As parents, you have a valuable perspective that can help us improve our safety procedures.
It’s Back to School time and that means getting ready for success. Principal Sara Leroy recently sent a letter to homes that included a recommended supply list. That list is included here for convenience. You can also click here to download a PDF copy to print out for your shopping trip.
Enjoy the last few days of summer break. We are excited to see students in just a few days.
This fall, parents of Salem-Keizer students have a new, convenient option for paying student fees.
Through the Online Payment Portal, parents can use a credit card to pay athletic fees, library book fees, purchase ASB cards, make a donation, and take care of other payment transactions. The Online Payment portal processing fee is the same as the fee charged when making a credit card payment in the school office (2.75 percent).
The Online Payment Portal does not replace the food service payment system, EZSchoolPay.
Find a link to the Online Payment Portal on our school website, or visit https://skpay.salkeiz.k12.or.us.